Milestones, activities and progress
THANK YOU to all those who participated in TraitNet's activities and made it a success!
- TraitNet completed its 5-year NSF RCN life-cycle in March 2012 and will therefore not be accepting any new members.
- TraitNet will release a semantics-based Registry for Plant Functional Trait Data in the summer of 2012. PLEASE complete the TraitNet Registry Metadata Form and help make the process of discovering plant functional data easier.
- TraitNet came into being in 2007 after Shahid Naeem and Daniel Bunker won an NCF grant to organize a RCN (Research Coordination Network) with the following Mission. TraitNet is coordinated by Farshid Ahrestani, a Postdoc at Columbia University
- TraitNet currently serves ~100 scientists in its network and is intended to address trait-based research of a diverse set of organisms. However, much of the focus has been on 'plant functional trait' research
- TraitNet has organized four meetings: TraitNet-1, a Trait Ontology Workshop, the DIVERSITAS EcoServices Steering Group's biennial meeting and the recently held "Future of trait-based research" meeting
- TraitNet, together with CNRS (Montpellier, France) and the Ecoinformatics program at NCEAS (Santa Barbara, USA), are building a Plant Functional Trait Ontology upon the foundation of the OBOE ontology (Observation ontology developed by NCEAS) - Due Dec. 2011
- Registry of plant trait data - COMING SOON!
- Plant Functional Traits Ontology - COMING SOON!
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation
under Grant No. 0639161. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations
expressed in this material are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect
the views of the National Science Foundation.